Glory At War:

 
myprofile

Name: Samantha Louise
Home: Vancouver, Canada
About Me: The.Earth.Diet
See my complete profile

previouspost
myarchives
goodreading
bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
eXTReMe Tracker
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

« Home | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article »

Thursday, March 8, 2007
The greek man at McDonalds.

The old man grinned widely at me as I took a nearby table at the McDonalds near my work. Double cheeseburger, medium fries, medium coke. Perfect to satisfy my fast-food craving. I carefully placed the tray down, unwrapped my burger and delighted myself in the burger of all burgers. As I munched slowly I looked across at the old man enjoying his newspaper and coffee. He was sitting on his own, smile on his face. Wrinkles that told a story of life and adventure, warm eyes, and obvious to the eyes that he was greek. I smiled to myself as I continued eating my burger enjoying my surroundings.

Lunch was finished and although I still had 15 minutes of my work break, I stood up ready to head back to the office to escape the chill of the air. As I rid of the rubbish and picked up my purse I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me to sit back down again. Obediantly, I sit down and look around me. What is it? I ask. What do you want? Looking down at my slim line, black and purple covered Bible I realised that God wanted me to read. Ofcourse. Why not.

I open the Word and turn to Acts 3. Engrossed in the testimony of Peter and John heading to the temple to pray, to be stopped by a beggar, and to see the beggar healed- simply incredible. I could almost see with my minds eyes as Peter declares to the beggar asking for money, "Silver and gold I do not have! But what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" Such boldness, such declaration of faith and assurance. And love. I began to think of how yes it is important to provide the practical needs of the down and trodden. We must feed the hungry. Provide shelter for the homeless. We must. But, what if we lack these practical items ourselves? It does not mean we cannot give, we can still declare with faith the promises of God.

As I pondered this I almost forgot the Greek elderly man sitting on the nearby table. He poked his words into my thoughts, Excuseee me, what are you reading? His thick greek accent interrupts. I look at him with a smile on my face, and before I can even answer he asks in his rich accent, Are you reading the Bible?

Why yes! Ofcourse! Excitedly I say that I was. He grins a toothy smile, And what language was the New Testament originally written in?, He professes. Laughing I say "Greek.." The elderly Greek man chuckles and announces "And that is what I am!". Waving his hand he ushers me to sit by his side and share his table with him. Grabbing my Bible, mobile and purse I switch seats so that now I was sitting face-to-face with the charming man.

"It encourages me to see a young lady such as yourself reading the Word of God" He nods his head, smile in his eyes. The next 15 minutes was filled with tales of his walk with God... his salvation in 1959. How he as on fire, an enthuisiast, full of zeal, moving in the power of God. Sadness then shades over his face, But... I lost it.. Shocked, I looked at him and wonder why. Jim, the elderly greek man, notices my puzzled face and answers "But don't you worry. I needed to see a young lady reading the Bible today. I needed to see a young person on fire, such as yourself. I know that despite my age, I can too be on fire. Don't lose the zeal. Don't lose the passion. You've encouraged me today to find it again."

My lunch break was over, it was time to leave the company of my new friend. Read Acts 3... it's good... real good! I exclaim, as Jim leans over and gives me a big sloppy wet kiss on my face.
Till the Lord allows us to meet again! He winks at me, as I leave McDonalds.

Labels:

posted by Samantha Louise 11:49 PM  
 
5 Comments:
  • At March 9, 2007 at 1:23:00 AM GMT+11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Say "Yassu" to him if you see him again!

    Sam that's great, listening to Gods voice and obeying. There is a pace to your life that is in step with God. It isn't thinking ahead too much to all the things you have on your to-do list, and it isn't thinking back too far about the past regrets! It is a narrow road you are walking. A good example to me.

     
  • At March 9, 2007 at 4:13:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Christop said…

    There's this Greek guy who comes and helps with the lunches at Credo sometimes, and he likes to remind us that what we're doing is just the same as what was done by the Christians in Greece two-thousand years ago. It's nice to have that connection.

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Stephanie Jewell said…

    how fantastic for you sammy!
    its so good to see God in people!

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 6:50:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said…

    OK - turn about is fair play...
    I read you
    your gift is apparent...
    don't stop writing, don't stop sharing HIM, and don't stop allowing God to use you in the moment by moments!
    (i put you on my blog list - i don't do that easily - so... keep writing about what God is doing in your life - even when it is tough, even when it is hard, even when it is glorious, just be real! God is able to really use us when we are real - cuz - HE IS!

     
  • At March 13, 2007 at 12:43:00 AM GMT+11, Blogger Samantha Louise said…

    Con- Thanks Con for your encouragement. To be honest though I'm in a place of frustration... I read the Book of Acts and well.. I'm not where God wants us to be. One thing I'm learning is we must never grow complacement with where we are at, hey?

    Chistop- I love the work that you guys do in Credo. Did you know I've visited Credo before? And have had lunch there. Yep! It was amazing. You can see that you guys ARE the hands and feet of Jesus!

    Littlesteph- You're a champion, you know that right? It's the pure in heart that see God, and YOU are pure in heart!

    Mutating Missonary- Wow what you wrote has encouraged me so so so much. I've been reading your blog and it encourages me to see what God is doing in and through your life. I love that we can be on other sides of the world and still connect!

     

Post a Comment