Glory At War:

 
myprofile

Name: Samantha Louise
Home: Vancouver, Canada
About Me: The.Earth.Diet
See my complete profile

previouspost
myarchives
goodreading
bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
eXTReMe Tracker
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

« Home | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article »

Tuesday, March 13, 2007
The tree that saved me.

"But, what if they find out? What if we get caught?" My friend looks at me nervously. Gripping my steering wheel with sheer determination I shrugged off her remark.
"We aren't going to get caught." I say, rolling my eyes. "The only way our parents will ever find out was if we crashed into a tree or something!" I begin laughing.
"Don't say that Sam, it isn't funny." She looks at me seriously.
"I was joking! Come on, relax, lets have fun." I take one hand off the wheel and shove her gently.
I was young and I was foolish. Thirsty for love and willing to drive across deserts to find it to try and satisfy my soul. It was summer, we had just finished highschool, and we were looking for adventure! It had started only 2 weeks prior to this conversation. My highschool friend, one of my closest friends at the time, and I spent the week in a caravan by the beach. On the first day of arrival I was taking a walk on my own along the sand. It was a beautiful day, the sun was setting, and I was at peace with myself.
Until I saw him.
My heart stopped beating and I found my cheeks burning. He was standing there, gran-pa trousers on, bare chested, grin on face, cigarette in hand, sandy brown hair with a fringe covering one eye, barefeet. He held my stare as I nervously patted my skirt down, and tucked my flowing hair behind my ear. I didnt' know what to do. I didn't know this boy, but there was something about the boy that caused butterflies to be let out and flutter about in my stomach.
"You shouldn't smoke, you know.." I exclaim out, not knowing what else to say.
"And who says?" A mischevious laughter escapes his lips. "You or my mother?"
Taken aback I call out, "Your mother!" It appeared that my response was hilarious to this boy.
"My mother was the one who first introduced me to bongs you know." He laughs, testing my response.
From that moment on I was taken. And the week was spent with this charming boy. He grew up with hippy parents, would yearly go to nudist camps. A fire-twirler. Guitarist and song-writer. Charmer. Knew what a girl wanted. Our nights were spent on the beach with illegal bon-fires burning. He would play his guitar and sing me songs. And our days were full of adventure, rock climbing and finding hidden caves to steal kisses from one another.
Our last night together we were laying on the beach embasking in each others presence. He looks up at the sky, points out a star to me and tells me that he is now officially naming the star "Samantha... So that each night I can look at the star and I'll never forget you or your beautiful smile and your beautiful kisses."
Naive and stupid, I thought I would fall madly in love with this boy. And that we would run away together, elope, travel the world and live happily ever after. For that week I forgot my first love, Jesus. I wasn't stable in my ways and was easily swayed by the wind of charming words. The first time that this boy kissed me I was a goner.
And now we were here, 2 weeks later, in the car with my friend cautious as always. I couldn't blame her. We had blatantly lied to our parents, packed our cars secretly late in the night. I told my parents we were going shopping and I would stay at her house. Leaving in the early hours of the morning we set out to drive to this boys house. Me to see the love of my summer, and her to see the love of her summer. As we continued to drive closer to the passionate embrace of this boy I could feel the Holy Spirit tugging at my heart, "What about Me?" He would whisper. And each time I would hold that steering wheel with dear life, push my foot down on the accelerator, ignore the warnings and continue driving to what I thought was destiny.
At last we arrived. Excited and full of life the four of us... Myself, my friend, the boy, the boys friend... Were driving off for a day of activities and rebellion.
We were only 5 minutes down the road when it happened.
"Take a left here.." The boy says. Obediantly I turn left and follow the road that was instructed to me.
"You sure about this?" I say, noticing that the road barely looked used. Thick dust covered the road, tall thick looming trees hedged it.
"It's a 10 minute short-cut!" He assures me. I melt as I watch him smile that mischevious grin that was always marked across his face.
Inexperienced and foolishly I continue to drive down the road at 50-60k's an hour. The music was blaring. We were laughing. I look at the boy next to me in wonder and awe. Not noticing that my foot was pressing harder on the accelerator.
One moment we were laughing and the next moment we were plummeting into sheer terror.
I lost control of the car, my back wheels spun, and I began to fish-tail down the road. My mouth was opened ready to scream, but sound was stolen as I realised I didn't know what to do.
No control. Losing it. All over the road. Friend is screaming.Boy is cursing.
The tree. It's coming closer. Closer. TOO CLOSE! My car was heading straight for it, images flashed through my mind of the car wrapped around the tree.
First thought: We're going to die. I'm going to kill them.
Second thought: Repent!
Third thought: JESUS GET US OUT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closing my eyes, afraid to open them. Impact. My body hits the steering wheel, seat belt sharp against skin. My head flings back against seat.
Slowly, with so much fear creeping over my body, I open my eyes. Dead silence. Nobody is talking. Nobody is moving. And finally, I whisper, "Are... are we still alive?"
And as though the reality of the situation never hit, one of the boys lets out a wild laugh and declares "LETS DO IT AGAIN!"
My friend hits him. I would have too. We surveyed the damage. I collaped in the middle of the road in pain, and shock. We should have died. Nobody could have survived that. But we did. Jesus saved us. What if? What if what if what if?
The rest of the day was full of screaming parents over the phone, going to hospital, and catching a 2-3 hour train back home. Neck-brace on, bags under arms, and my friend and I plotting an excuse of what really happened. For years, the wallaby story worked, until I let the truth slip out last Christmas. My dad cried.
Lying in bed that night, body aching, unable to move head with neckbrace on... I wept. Violently. Repenting, I turned back to Jesus. I begged Him to take me back. That I wouldn't be a fool anymore, that I would trust and obey Him.
I learnt hard lessons that summer. I lost one of my closest friends, after that day we never really saw each other again. Her mum banned me. I never saw the boy again either, he thought I tried killing him.
But I found my Jesus.
posted by Samantha Louise 10:59 PM  
 
7 Comments:
  • At March 14, 2007 at 2:07:00 AM GMT+11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm just glad you didn't die that day - it would have been before I knew you.

     
  • At March 14, 2007 at 6:17:00 AM GMT+11, Blogger Sheri said…

    What an incredible, powerful story Samantha. Praise the Lord for his protection and mostly, forgiveness. HE's so faithful!!! Keep sharing that story with young people... they need to know that life outside of Jesus is, death. Keep shining!

     
  • At March 14, 2007 at 12:17:00 PM GMT+11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're an incredible writer. you have incredible stories. you amaze me how you are so responsive to the Holy Spirit...you put me to shame...I'm so much more 'chicken' than you!!

     
  • At March 14, 2007 at 3:15:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Mike Messerli said…

    Samantha,

    Good post. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how Jesus loves us, protects us, chases us, and then catches us and we are blessed by it all.

     
  • At March 14, 2007 at 4:20:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Sparkalina said…

    Hey lovely,

    Great post!!! It's amazing to see the way God protects us. He certainly protected you that night.

    He makes all things new :) You are called, chosen and anointed my friend. The road before you is going to simply amaze you through what God is going to do in and through you.

    I love you girlfriend :)

    Lanna xx

     
  • At March 16, 2007 at 6:58:00 PM GMT+11, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Powerful story. It's not just the story but the way it is told that makes it more heart rending. I'm happy that I know you. :)

     
  • At March 19, 2007 at 12:23:00 PM GMT+11, Blogger Stephanie Jewell said…

    Oh Sammy, I wept as I was reading that.
    It is so beautiful, that no matter what happens, God can convict our hearts, and we can turn back to our Father, and he accepts us with loving arms.
    That even when we are in the depths of despair, He is there, saying 'give it to me, let me take the burden for you, i DIED for you'.. it is truly beautiful to see God the way you saw Him again that day.
    Thankyou, I think i needed that in many different ways.

     

Post a Comment