Glory At War:

 
myprofile

Name: Samantha Louise
Home: Vancouver, Canada
About Me: The.Earth.Diet
See my complete profile

previouspost
myarchives
goodreading
bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.
eXTReMe Tracker
Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random

« Home | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article » | Previous Article »

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Ferris Wheel Ride
The bright lights of the city cheered my spirit. I felt a joy overwhelm me as I walked the streets late at night. Chilled breeze kissing my cheeks. Jacket warmly wrapped around me. We walked and observed the people surrounding us. A young mum pushing a pram, rushing to the station steps. Bustling men having a gathering outside the pub. Youths chasing each other down the road. Homeless man begging for money. My mind wandered as I thought about these people... their lives, their upbringings. Their beliefs, values, interests. Where have they been? What have they done? What are their dreams?

I was caught back into attention as my friend by my side began to exclaim, "Look!!! A ferris wheel!!!". And my heart skipped a beat as I looked to where she pointed. In the middle of Federation Square, there it was. Pink, yellow, blue, green, purple lights dazzled the ride. Going around and around, high into the sky, was a ferris wheel that I wanted to be on.

"Let's go!" I say, quickening my pace. And without hesitation I mutter, "Lord God, if you feel like blessing us tonight. How about a free ferris wheel ride?"

As we reached the destination of the ride, I had quickly forgotten the spur-of-the-moment prayer I uttered. Skipping to the ticket booth we ask the man how much the tickets were. He greets us with a toothless smile and says, "It's 5 bucks per person." Shoulders slumped I respond with a short, "Oh." My friend and I looked at one another and shrugged in defeat. Perhaps another day, another moment, we can enjoy the ferris wheel ride.

Sighing to self, I look at the man with the toothless smile, face that hasn't been shavened, dirty clothes. "So... you like your job?" Thus, begins a 5 minute pleasant conversation with the run-away-farmer now working at the Ferris Wheel ride of Federation Square.

Conversation reaching it's end, we turn around and begin to walk to Swanston St Mc Donalds. About 10 meters away from the ride we hear a loud, "Oi!". Turning around I look to see the man operating the ride. Enthusiastically he is gesturing us to come forward. Looking at him with a confused gaze written across my face, he begins to jump up and down, waving his arms this way and that beckoning us to come towards him.

Without a thought in my walk my friend and I come within ear's length.

"Come on then! Get on. We'll give it to you for free!" He says, smile beaming from his face. Looking towards the toothless run-away-farmer ticket man, I am responded with a "Yes yes it's okay. You can have it for free."

With glee in our hearts, and thanks pouring from our lips we jump aboard the ferris wheel. Around and around we went. Shouting out our blessings!

Look at the lights! Look at the city! Look at the yarra! It's so divine!

Around and around we went again. The man running the ride would laugh and grin as we continued to go around, worth at least two rides worth.

And eventually, it ended. We jumped off the ride. Thanked the men. And they jumped in joy at being able to give a ride for free to two young women.
posted by Samantha Louise 9:04 AM  
 
2 Comments:
  • At April 18, 2007 at 11:31:00 PM GMT+10, Blogger Mike Messerli said…

    Sam, great post, as usual. What would be your spiritual application of this story? How would you connect it to our walk with God?

    Just wondering...

    thanks

     
  • At April 19, 2007 at 1:43:00 AM GMT+10, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Look at the yarra! It's so divine!"

    Umm, I don';t think so - brown perhaps?? ;)

    I'm impressed that you got a free ride.

    Tell us - does he enjoy his job? Did you expect him to say no?

     

Post a Comment